Purpose Statement

The purpose of this blog is to openly discuss things most people think about but are afraid to talk about. At times the content may be offensive to some but is not intended to insult or embarass. Personal stories or experience will be clearly stated; please don't assume the blogger is always sharing a personal story. She is always sharing her naked thoughts with blunt honesty, talking about what some are afriad of or embarrassed by. The blogger is also interested in giving honest and blunt advice based on her impression and experience so please feel free to message or comment her with a question if you desire an honest answer, even if it may sting.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You Aren't The Boss of Me!!

Working off a fb friends suggestion this evening I would like to discuss the importance of making your own choices and decisions about different life experiences.

Marriage - it seems other people always have opinions about who you should marry and when.  Whose business is that really.  Unless you are in an unhealthy or abusive relationship; other people need to keep their damn comments to themselves.  I know plenty of people who got engaged and married after only a short dating period.  I know people who married someone that they spent most of their time complaining about.  The worst comment in these situations is, "you can do better".  Best Reply..."Really better than what; I love this person, faults and all, they make me feel complete...shut up and go look in the mirror...maybe you are the one doubting your relationship".

Having Children: it is no ones business to tell someone when they should or shouldn't have children.  We all have our opinions on what is best for a relationship. Some people think getting pregnant right away is important, others think 2 years is good, others want five.  Some people think you shouldn't plan it at all because God will make it happen when it is supposed to.  Well, just because waiting 5 years for you worked well doesn't mean it is what I or my partner want.  Bud out.

Religion: I'm not going into too much depth here but I am simply going to state this.  What you believe is what you believe and what I believe is what I believe.  DO NOT try to push your beliefs or practices onto someone else; no matter what their religion is...Buddist, Muslim, Jewish, Catholic, Luthern, or agnostic...let them learn about their own god as they want to.

How to parent:  Wow this could be an entire blog on its own.  Everyone has the right to decide how they will parent their children.  Other people, including myself, will always think their methods are better and many will give unsolicited advice about what you are doing wrong and how to do it right.  Yes, I see kids whose parents seriously need to learn how to discipline them.  I also see children whose parents need to lay off a little and let them be a kid.  I see parents who feed their kids McDonald's on a daily basis and get made when their kids are called fat; but I also see parents who feed their children only raw foods and wonder why they are anemic, underweight, and behind on developmental milestones.  The thing is, maybe there is no "right way' to parent.  I think there is...and its my way...but I bet you are thinking the same thing.

You're Pregnant; you Can't do that:  First let me say...never Tell a pregnant woman she can or can't do something unless she asks you or you are her health care provider.  When I was pregnant people were constantly telling me "you can't drink coffee" - guess what idiot - Yes I can because I checked with my health care providers to make sure a certain amount of caffeine is safe and BTW how the hell do you know this isn't decaf?  "you can't eat that" guess what moron, yes I can because it isn't real sushi its made with cooked fish or fake fish...ask whats in it before you force your "all knowing knowledge" on me.  "You shouldn't lift that its heavy" - I'm pregnant not disabled, Unless you know for a fact someone is having pregnancy problems and their health care provider has told them no activities then shut up.  I could keep going; but here's the one that pissed me off the most..."you don't want a girl" - SHUT THE F UP...actually I do and guess what else, I don't get to choose the gender of my baby and even if I could I wouldn't!  Just because you don't like and can't take care of your girls doesn't mean I'm going to be unable to care for mine!

Here is a list of some other things that everyone seems to have opinions on but really need to mind their own business unless asked for advice...buying a home - what kind and where; pets; choosing schools/education; decorating your home; weight issues; immunizations...I really could go on and on

So what is the message I'm trying to convey here.  Mind your own business unless some asks you for advice or input.  We all have the right and abilities to make decisions that will or can alter our lives for ourselves.  And if we are making a mistake...let us...that's how people of all ages learn.  What is right for you or your family may not be right for me or mine...so lay off, and maybe think about why your way is so much better.

5 comments:

  1. I do believe that if something ends up posted on a social media site about any of the topics you addressed above, it's an open invitation to have people comment. So if you don't want people randomly offering advice, don't write about it. I may have someone who agrees and someone who doesn't. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would leave a comment but I'll keep my opinion to myself...hahaha! Just kidding, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin - the point of this blog was not to bring debate about the issues I talked about but to bring attention to the fact that everyone has different opinons, some very strong about the above topics, and that we all need to learn tolerance for other people's beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Becky! I've been working really hard getting over what other people think.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave tasteful yet honest comments here. You may also view my full profile to send quesetions you want advice on to my email address.