Purpose Statement

The purpose of this blog is to openly discuss things most people think about but are afraid to talk about. At times the content may be offensive to some but is not intended to insult or embarass. Personal stories or experience will be clearly stated; please don't assume the blogger is always sharing a personal story. She is always sharing her naked thoughts with blunt honesty, talking about what some are afriad of or embarrassed by. The blogger is also interested in giving honest and blunt advice based on her impression and experience so please feel free to message or comment her with a question if you desire an honest answer, even if it may sting.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oh No You Didn't

Embarassment.  Why are we so embarrassed sometimes and so many times by the people closest to us?  Why do we feel that sting of embarassment when someone else is acting stupid or foolish?  Is it because we worry that others will generalize their behaviors towards us, or is it because if we didn't "know" this person and we met them acting in this embarassing manner; we wouldn't want anything to do with them?

What makes each person feel embarassed?  For some  it may be the words another person chooses to use, or the way they  talk.  Maybe it is the type of jokes someone tells; or the tone and volume of their voice.  Sometimes it is the utter and obvious lack of self controll and immaturity that occurs.  Many times these occurances happen when one is drinking and they loose any self censorship they may have previously held. 

I am certain I have done or said things that have made others who are related to or associated with me feel embarassed; most likely my lack of using a filter and not being concerned with others think.  So this makes me wonder, why do I feel embarassed by someone elses actions?  Is it my own insecurities or the fact that when some people act certain ways, I feel disrespected and disregarded, and I wonder what other people are thinking when I already feel this way?

Is there an appropriate and effective way to address these issues with someone?  How do you tell someone you love "when you act this way, I feel embarassed to be around you or associated with you.  How do you address the issues without hurting someone's feelings? There are times I have been with a friend or someone close to me and they have said or done something and I thought "OMG they did NOT just say/do that!!"  Are some people just that oblivious to the social expectations of certain situations?  Are these people dumb...stupid...ignorant...uncaring...or were they simply never taught these basic behaviors by their parents?  I don't have the answers to these questions or I wouldn't even be discussing them here?

What has someone else done that caused you to feel embarassed or disrespected in front of others? How have you handled these people in your life?  Are you one of the embarassing people and how did someone let you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave tasteful yet honest comments here. You may also view my full profile to send quesetions you want advice on to my email address.